Review: Women of the Anarchy by Sharon Bennett Connolly

  I'll be honest - even though I studied history right through school and then at University, I never learned about the period in Englis...

Tuesday 22 February 2022

Review: Philippa of Hainault/John of Gaunt by Kathryn Warner

Serendipitously, the paperback version of Philippa of Hainault and the hardback version of John of Gaunt (Philippa's son) came out at similar times, and the lovely people at Amberley sent me copies of both.

Of course, I started with the biography of Philippa. I found Warner's approach refreshing, and very much enjoyed reading the personal story of the wife of Edward III, beginning with what is known of her childhood and the very difficult early years of her marriage when she and Edward were very much in the shadow of his mother and her co-conspirator Mortimer.

What came across so strongly in Warner's narrative is the personalities of those involved in the stories. Whilst the author debunks many myths, including the claim that Isabella and Mortimer were lovers, she imbues her story with anecdotes and snippets which give glimpses into the characters of the people involved. I was left with a clear impression about the nature of Philippa and her husband and they are presented as rounded personalities, while the author remains analytical, sticks to the known facts and cites primary sources without wandering off into any reveries about what they might have done/thought/said. Warner is a skilled narrator indeed.

I felt, however, that the author might have their work cut out in endearing me to John of Gaunt. To me he's never been an attractive character, but it's so rare to be able to read a biography about one historical character and then straight away dive into one about their son, that I was intrigued. Warner gives John of Gaunt a fair treatment, by which I mean all the reasons for his unpopularity are laid out but again, we are given touching little details, such as his proven devotion to his mother. Also detailed and interesting was the examination of Gaunt's relationships with Blanche of Lancaster and Katherine Swynford.

Both of these books are excellent history books, but they are more than that. They are stories of real people, who come to life. I'd not read works by Kathryn Warner before. She is now one of those whose books I'll automatically read, regardless of the title, because I'm so impressed by the way she approaches her subject matter.

Many thanks to Amberley for providing review copies.

Find the author's books here

No comments:

Post a Comment