Review: Women of the Anarchy by Sharon Bennett Connolly

  I'll be honest - even though I studied history right through school and then at University, I never learned about the period in Englis...

Thursday 13 January 2022

Interview with author Lisette Brodey


I'm delighted to welcome author Lisette Brodey to the blog today. She's written numerous books and the first thing I had to ask was:

AW:You write in various genres, but would you say there are any themes which connect your books? 

LB: As different as my book genres have been, yes, there are many themes which connect them. First, strong interpersonal relationships between flawed characters are very important to me. Another theme, which is present in every book I write, is secrets. We all have them … to a greater or lesser degree, but there are some secrets which only embarrass. The ones I write are usually the kind that rock the collective world of many. 

I’ve never written a book, no matter how serious, without humor in it. Many years ago, before I decided to write novels, I thought I might wish to be a playwright. I went to an event for the Dramatist’s Guild where the well-known playwright Neil Simon was speaking. I remember him talking about how humor is often the best at the most depressing, stressful, or tragic moment of a story. Of course, I am paraphrasing, but his point resonated with me then as it does today.

To digress for a moment, at that same event was the playwright Peter Stone. During the Q&A, someone asked him what he thought of critics. Though this was decades ago, I still remember his answer verbatim, which brought forth a huge laugh: “They all blend into one hideous man.” It was easily the funniest moment of the night. (AW: this made me chuckle!)

One last place I seek inspiration is from all of the discarded pieces of writing that I’ve collected since my early 20s. In Hotel Obscure, there are a few stories and ideas that came directly from earlier writing. Sometimes, we have great ideas that just don’t have any place when we come up with them. I always tell writers, especially younger ones: save your ideas; you never know.

That's such good advice, and now I feel justified in keeping piles of notes and ideas everywhere! Where does your inspiration come from; real-life experience/observation, or is it pure imagination?

My inspiration comes from absolutely anywhere. All I need is that seed of something that entices me to plant it and help it grow. Once place I look to for inspiration, when I’m actively searching for some, is paintings. Sometimes, I see a story in one and it gives me an idea. Songs are another source of motivation. That doesn’t mean I’ll write the story in the song … far from it. But there may be one line that gives me an idea. Inspiration is truly everywhere. And yes, quite a bit comes from observation and real-life experience. But I have never written one character to be a specific person. Even if I tried to do it, by the time I wrote the book, the character would be different. But sometimes, just to get myself started, I will envision someone – whether it be a TV character or someone I know. 

A great tip there for those who might be wondering just where to start when they get stuck. And talking of new things, can you tell us a little about The Waiting House? You describe it as a ‘novel in stories’ and I’ve recently read your wonderful book Hotel Obscure. There, the characters appeared in more than one story and were all connected in some way to the hotel. Is The Waiting House in a similar vein?


Yes, The Waiting House is in a similar vein, but there are many differences. After being told by some readers that Hotel Obscure read like a novel, I decided that I would challenge myself and make my next collection an actual “novel in stories.” Even more so than Hotel Obscure, while most stories introduce new characters and situations, each one is structured to also advance the overall story arc. I’ll tell you a secret, Annie, if you promise to keep it between the two of us: there is a character from Hotel Obscure in one of the stories. (AW: That's very exciting and of course, I won't tell a soul...😉)


The other difference in the books, which I didn’t set out to do, is the tone of the book. The Waiting House has a definite “Twilight Zone” vibe as well as a good amount of dark humor. That said, I tried hard to write thought-provoking stories that reflect the depth, struggles, and decisions that human beings make … as well as much in life/death that is undefined. And lastly, the characters all live in The Waiting House, an apartment house that used to be a fancy hotel for those seeking a Hollywood-like atmosphere. All of the apartments are uniquely decorated with vintage Hollywood Regency furniture … and in many ways, the furniture is part of the stories.

It sounds really interesting, not to say intriguing. When you sit down to write a new story, is the end already in your mind, or do you give you characters free rein? And which do you find hardest - characterisation or plotting?

As I said above, ideas can come from absolutely anywhere, but plotting definitely is more difficult. I won’t write a book unless I know the beginning, middle, and end. That said, the book often changes course as I write, and layers are always added. For me, and many writers, I would imagine that the greatest ideas come when we’re actually writing. I need to know where I’m going, but when writing, I may decide to take a train instead of an airplane, and usually get a hankering for a few unplanned side trips.

Although I know what the ending will be, the way I present it may change drastically from how I first envisioned it. I’m always surprised when authors say they’ve written the last chapter first. Through interviewing so many authors over the years, I’ve learned that authors’ processes are as similar as they are different.

Yes, I think even though we all share certain aspects of the writing process, we all approach it differently. Can you tell us what you’re working on at the moment?

Well, that’s a tough one. Every day, the first thing I try to do is not bang my head against the wall of nails that awaits me. (I’ve already bruised my forehead many times on it!)

I can tell you that it’s a novel, and it centers around a very strong character I have envisioned. I would like to have had more done on this book, but I don’t like developing books (too heavily) while I’m with a current WIP because I want my passion and focus to stay put and not go elsewhere. However, I can’t help but think about next project, and I have a Word document where I type in all possible ideas to be examined and developed later. I try to write every idea down. I think most of us can relate to having had “great ideas” that we promptly forgot after assuring ourselves they were “too good to forget.” (AW: Oh yes, especially in the middle of the night!)

Right now, I’m developing the character’s back story and how it has impacted who he is today. It’s in the very early stages.

And yes, I am jotting down ideas for another short story or novel-in-stories collection, but I don’t want to publish two in a row. It took me a long time to settle with the location for The Waiting House. I really had to feel it with every fiber of my being.

It seems that you have plenty of inspiration and material to keep busy! Thanks so much for taking the time to chat today and I'm very much looking forward to reading The Waiting House.

Thank you so much for inviting me your blog, Annie. A true pleasure chatting with you.

Readers can find Lisette's books here:

http://author.to/lisettebrodey




4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for inviting me to chat with you on your blog, Annie. I really enjoyed it and I find it interesting how interview questions can not only help others to learn a bit about you, but also how answering the questions can help the interviewee to understand things about our own writing that we may not have thought about in so many words before.

    To update just a bit, I've written Chapter One of the WIP, but am still doing research and planning.

    Thanks again for a special visit. xx Lisette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for joining me on the blog today Lisette - it was lovely to chat!!

      Delete
  2. Great Interview! I really enjoyed The Waiting House & Hotel Obscure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Sheri. I love Hotel Obscure and can't wait to read The Waiting House!

      Delete