Review: Women of the Anarchy by Sharon Bennett Connolly

  I'll be honest - even though I studied history right through school and then at University, I never learned about the period in Englis...

Friday 21 August 2020

Feature/Review: Echoes of the Storm by Charlene Newcomb

Today on Reads, Writes, Reviews, my review of Echoes of the Storm my Charlene Newcomb. But first, a few words from the author herself:

Hurtling from the 12th century to the 24th - by Charlene Newcomb


Echoes of the Storm marks my debut novel in science fiction/space opera after more than a decade with fingers in both contemporary and medieval historical fiction. But my writing career actually began in the mid ‘90s in the Star Wars universe, where I contributed more than 10 short stories to the Lucasfilm-licensed Star Wars Adventure Journal

I always dreamed of writing a Star Wars novel, but knew that path was closed to me unless I was 1) a successful writer with a proven track record; 2) numerous published science fiction novels, and 3) agented. Real life - the demanding day job and single parenthood - curtailed my writing for years. When I finally began writing again, I took a fork in my writing road and turned to my first love: historical fiction. Three medieval novels later, I dusted off Echoes and finished the manuscript I had started in 1998.  I’m still un-agented, and don’t have numerous sci fi tales under my belt, but I’ll still dream about Star Wars

Find Echoes at major online retailers in print and ebook formats: https://books2read.com/EchoesoftheStorm

Charlene Newcomb lives, works, and writes in Kansas. She is an academic librarian (retired) by trade, a U.S. Navy veteran, and has three grown children. When not at the library, she is still surrounded by books trying to fill her head with all things medieval and galaxies far, far away. She loves to travel and enjoys quiet places in the mountains or on rocky coasts. But even in Kansas she can let her imagination soar. 
Website: charlenenewcomb.com
Newsletter: /subscribe-to-my-newsletter/
Facebook: CharleneNewcombAuthor
Twitter: @charnewcomb
Instagram: @charnewc

Review


As Charlene says, she has written three novels set in the medieval period. This was my introduction to her writing; I read the first of those books, Men of the Cross, and simply loved it. I've also read some of her short stories, featured on Discovering Diamonds, and I loved those too. So when I heard that she'd written a new novel which encompassed her other great passion, Sci-Fi, I had to take a look, despite its not being my usual preferred genre.
But.
A good writer is a good writer. And a good book is a good book.
Echoes of the Storm begins by throwing the reader right into some high-octane action. In a way, it doesn't let up afterwards because the plot is so ingenious, the fates and fortunes of the characters so many and varied, that the book is a definite page-turner.
Yet there are also scenes of calm, of pause, so that the book is well paced. 

Here's the blurb:

Jack Gamble’s lover Ari Norse is a double agent. He betrayed the resistance and now commands Galilei's military operations.

Jack is shattered by the betrayal, and rallying what remains of the resistance and their galactic allies wasn’t part of his plans. His contacts are scattered, maybe dead.

Streams are broadcasting Jack's face from one end of the galaxy to the other. In a harrowing escape, his ship is intercepted by mercenaries under the command of Captain Ben Stone.

Space pirates, friendly interrogators, security grunts, and Norse stand in Jack’s way. Stone could turn him in, but the intriguing captain has his own problems with the empire - and an interest in Jack. But can he trust Stone?

Jack can't afford any emotional entanglements now. He has a rebellion to win and a world to take back. Failure means his people will never break the empire’s chains, and his homeworld is screwed.

Norse already did that to him.

Jack won’t let it happen again.

Yes, we are definitely a long way from our known world! One tiny touch which I loved was that few explanations are given. We are simply immersed in this other place. The author does this effectively by, for example, presenting plates of food with unfamiliar names but rather than explaining what they are, she makes it clear by what the characters say, and how they react. Minimal exposition like this has the effect of putting us right in the scenes and, indeed, the whole time I was reading I felt like I was watching. No spoilers, but a particularly tense scene towards the end of the book had me feeling as if I was turning from one character to another as they moved, spoke, and fought. I could 'see' everything.

It's not necessary to be a Sci-fi fan to enjoy this book. The setting is skilfully drawn, so it made sense even to a non-techie like me. But the setting is also important. Could this story be told in another way, another time, another universe? No. Is it just explosions and lasers and fancy gadgets? Also no.

Jack Gamble has been betrayed, on a personal level, and in terms of what this betrayal now means to the resistance. This is so much more than a simple tale of revenge, however. Jack knows he needs to learn how to put his feelings aside in order not to compromise the rebellion, and he struggles. Human emotions aren't so easy to put into little boxes, and the author knows this.

Nor is this just Jack's story. It's told from multiple viewpoints and every character is presented as a rounded human being, with faults, frailties, insecurities, intelligence and strength.

What I particularly liked was that there are genuine surprises. The reader is kept on their toes, as it were, because it's just never clear how things will work out. Had I placed a bet on what one member of Norse's staff was going to do towards the end of the book, I'd have lost my money.

The action scenes are written superbly, the dialogue felt natural and the frankly audacious stunts pulled off by the resistance were beautifully choreographed.

If you're not a Sci-fi fan, don't be put off. This book is simply a fantastic read. The plot is strong, so are the characters, and they perform in their world. A bit like good historical fiction, only with blaster weapons.

No comments:

Post a Comment